Oxtail is a great choice for potjiekos! Flavour your oxtail with whole cloves, bay leaves and thyme, add good red wine for rich colour, and take your time cooking the potjie to tender, fall-off-the-bone perfection.
- 1 kg oxtail
- 45 ml oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 375 ml beef stock
- 60 ml good-quality red wine
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Robertsons whole cloves
- 1 Robertsons bay leaf
- 1 tsp Robertsons thyme
- Robertsons atlantic sea salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 10 pickling onions peeled
- 3 celery sticks chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron potije pot over hot coals or in a heavy based saucepan over the stove.
- Brown the oxtail in batches until golden.
- Then add the onion and sauté until onion is soft.
- Add the beef stock, red wine, tomato paste, Robertsons cloves, bay leaf and thyme.
- Season and then simmer for about 2 -3 hours adding more stock if required until the oxtail is tender and about to fall off the bone.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Remove cloves and bay leaf before serving.
- Serve with Pap or rice.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.