Boerewors Meatball Stew with Butternut Isijingi
Creamy butternut isijingi is the perfect accompaniment for tasty meatballs in a rich tomato sauce. Coriander, cloves, nutmeg and Rajah Flavourful & Mild give our meatballs a fantastic boerewors flavour!
- 250 g butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt plus extra to taste
- 2 cups maize meal
- 500 g beef mince
- 3 tbsp Rajah Flavourful & Mild curry powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black peppercorns plus extra to taste
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- 1 x 400 g tinned tomatoes and onion mix
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and grated
- Place the butternut squash and salt in a medium-sized pot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the butternut is very soft.
- Mash the butternut with a fork – don’t worry about it not being completely smooth.
- Gradually stir the butternut into the maize meal while stirring until the isijingi is a thick and creamy consistency – add more water if necessary.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the maize meal is cooked. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, prepare the boerewors meatballs by placing the mince, Rajah Flavourful & Mild curry powder, spices and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Shape tablespoonfuls of the mince into meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the meatballs until browned.
- Add the tomato-onion mix and garlic and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce with the isijingi.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.