Prawn Jollof Rice
Jollof rice is a spicy one-pot dish that is hugely popular all over West Africa. Our easy version, made with prawns and Rajah All-In-One curry powder, is a truly delicious dish perfect for special occasions.
- 2 Knorr Chicken Stock Pot
- 6 cups hot water
- 4 cups long-grain rice well rinsed
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 onions finely chopped or grated
- 4 sweet red peppers seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Rajah All-In-One curry powder
- 1 x 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 250 g prawns deveined (see tip)
- Place the Knorr Chicken Stock Pots in a large jug and add 6 cups hot water. Stir to dissolve.
- Bring the rice to a boil in a large saucepan with 2 cups of the stock mixture.
- Cook with a lid on over medium heat for 15 minutes – the rice should only be half cooked.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the onions and peppers until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add the Rajah All-In-One curry powder and sauté for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaves and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Add 2 cups of the stock mixture and the parboiled rice, cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir the rice to prevent burning, add the remaining 1 cup stock, arrange the prawns on top and season well.
- Cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked, remove from the heat and place a clean tea towel over the top of the pot, with the lid on and allow to stand for 30 minutes before serving.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.