Chicken Gizzard Stew with Steamed Gem Squash
Economical chicken gizzards are full of flavour and ideal for creating hearty stews. Paprika, tomato paste and chilli flakes add colour and heat to this stew, which is delicious served with tender gem squash halves. Steam your gems in a pot on the stove, or cook them with a little water in the microwave.
- 1 kg chicken gizzards, cleaned
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 45 ml tomato paste
- 5 ml Robertsons crushed chillies
- 15 ml Robertsons paprika
- 1 sachet (34 g) x Knorr brown onion gravy
- 400 ml water
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt to season
- Robertsons black pepper to taste
- 4 medium-sized gem squash, steamed
- Place the chicken gizzards in a pot of salted water, cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 hour then drain and pat dry.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a high heat. Add the gizzards and fry until golden brown, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat down and add the onion and garlic. Sauté gently for 5 to 8 minutes, until soft. Add the tomato paste, Robertsons Crushed Chillies and Robertsons Paprika and sauté for a further minute.
- Add the gizzards, the contents of the sachet of Knorr Brown Onion Gravy, and 400ml water. Stir well.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Season to taste with Robertsons Atlantic Sea Salt and Robertsons Black Pepper.
- Serve hot with steamed gem squash.
- Without milk
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.