Chicken and Dumplings
A satisfying and wholesome chicken and dumplings recipe. Vegetables, chicken and herbs are all cooked together with the great taste of Knorr Chicken Stock, before the dumplings are placed in the mixture and lightly simmered.
- 2 Knorr chicken stock pot
- 1 l boiling water
- 45 ml Stork margarine
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 ml vegetable oil
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 small leek, diced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 Robertsons bay leaf
- For the Dumplings:
- Knorr chicken stock pot
- 250 ml boiling water
- 500 g self-raising flour
- 30 ml Stork margarine, melted
- 15 ml Robertsons cumin
- 15 ml parsley, chopped
- 15 ml chives, chopped
- Dissolve the Knorr Chicken Stock pot in the boiling water. Set aside.
- Heat the Stork Margarine in a large casserole dish. Add the onion, carrot, celery and cook for 10 minutes on medium-low heat, until vegetables have softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove all vegetables from the pan and set aside.
- Add the vegetable oil to the casserole dish and heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until the chicken browns. Turn the chicken over and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the vegetables from earlier back to the dish along with the leek, thyme, bay leaf and the chicken stock. Bring to a gentle boil, cover with a lid and cook for 35-40 minutes.
- For the dumplings:
- Dissolve the Knorr Chicken Stock Pot in the boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- Place flour in a bowl, add the melted Stork Margarine and mix well. Add the chicken stock and mix in gently (do not overwork).
- Add the Robertsons Cumin, parsley and chives. Take tablespoons of the mix, roll into small balls with your hands and drop into the simmering chicken casserole. Poach for 5-10 minutes with the lid on just before serving.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.