There are many variations of Amanqina in South Africa, with recipes often passed down through generations of cooks. In our recipe, we’ve kept things simple, combining cow heels with Knorrox beef stock cubes and cayenne pepper for extra depth of flavour.
- 1 kg cow heels
- 1.5 litre water
- 2 Knorrox beef stock cubes
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 ripe tomato (peeled & grated)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Robertsons cayenne pepper
- Wash amanqina / cow heels. Pour the water into the pot, add the washed cow heels, Knorrox cubes, onions, tomato and Robertson’s Cayenne pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Put the lid on the pot and cook at a simmer, over a low heat, for about 3 hours, or until well cooked.
- Serve with pap and vegetables of your choice.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.