Mince-Stuffed Cabbage Rolls in Tomato Sauce
A simple but delicious family dinner everyone will enjoy! Softened cabbage leaves are wrapped around a flavoursome filling of beef mince, rice and herbs, then the parcels are gently baked in a rich tomato sauce until tender. This is a versatile recipe, because you can make a vegetarian version using tinned lentils instead of mince .
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 500 g beef mince
- 5 ml Robertsons paprika
- 5 ml Robertsons mixed herbs
- 45 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 1.5 ml Robertsons black pepper
- 2 x 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
- 48 g (1 sachet) Knorr savoury mince dry-cook-in-sauce
- 12 large white cabbage leaves separated
- extra parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for five to seven minutes, or until soft.
- Place the cooked onion in a mixing bowl and add the cooked rice, beef mince, Robertsons Paprika, Robertsons Mixed Herbs and chopped parsley. Mix well and season with Robertsons Black Pepper.
- Tip the tinned tomatoes into a pot and bring to the boil. Add the contents of the sachet of Knorr Savoury Mince Dry Cook-in-Sauce, whisk well and simmer for five minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Prepare the cabbage leaves by bringing a large pot of water to the boil. Submerge the leaves in the boiling water and let them soften for about one minute, or until pliable.
- Lay the cabbage leaves flat on a clean surface. Divide the mince mixture into 12 balls, then shape each one into a cylinder. Place one cylinder on a cabbage leaf, then roll up the leaf to form a neat parcel. Repeat this process until you have used up all the mince and cabbage leaves.
- Pour the tomato sauce into a roasting dish. Neatly arrange the cabbage parcels over the sauce. Cover the dish with tin foil at bake at 180 °C for one hour.
- Remove the tin foil and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cabbage leaves have some colour.
- Garnish with extra chopped parsley and serve hot.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.