Beef Stew with Dumplings
For a hearty meal that’s sure to warm you up, try this beef stew recipe made with Robertsons Barbeque Spice and amasi dumplings.
- For the stew
- 30 ml cooking oil
- 1 kg stewing beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 30 ml Robertsons barbecue spice
- 2 x 400 g tins whole peeled tomatoes
- For the dumplings
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 100 g margarine
- 160 ml fermented milk (Amasi)
- a handful of parsley, chopped
- Heat the cooking oil in a large casserole over medium-high heat. Fry the beef in batches for 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the beef, Robertsons Barbecue Spice and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Rub the margarine into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the Amasi and parsley, mix until just combined. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and place on top of the stew. Cover the stew with a lid and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.