Crispy Karoo Lamb Ribs With Mint Pesto
For an extra special South African style Sunday roast or family dinner, try these crispy barbecued lamb ribbetjies, served with a mint and lemon pesto.
- 1 kg cleaned lamb ribs
- 250 ml water
- 10 ml Robertsons mint
- 10 ml Robertsons Steak & Chops Spice
- 5 ml Robertsons lemon pepper
- 250 ml water
- Mint Pesto:
- 125 ml toasted almonds, raw and unsalted
- 60 ml mint leaves, stems removed
- 40 ml flat leaf parsley, stems removed
- 10 ml lemon juice
- 5 ml lemon zest
- 100 ml olive oil
- pinch of salt
- lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Place the lamb ribs in an oven casserole and season with Robertsons Mint, Robertsons Steak and Chops Spice, Robertsons Lemon Pepper and salt.
- Add a cup of water to the casserole, place the lid on and cook for 60-90 minutes, until the meat comes off the bones easily.
- Meanwhile, start preparing the mint pesto. Combine the almonds, mint, flat leaf parsley, lemon juice, zest and the olive oil in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper and pulse until finely chopped. Set the processor on continuous speed and puree until creamy. (Or use a stick blender). Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Once the lamb ribs are soft, place them on a baking tray and bake in the oven until they are crispy and golden brown. This can also be done on the barbecue.
- Serve the lamb ribs with mint pesto and fresh lemon wedges.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.