Create your own biltong at home with our super-easy, spicy biltong recipe.
- 1 beef fillet steak
- 3 tbsp Robertsons Steak & Chops Spice
- 3 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp Robertsons coriander seeds cracked
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp Robertsons freshly ground black pepper
- 80 ml vinegar
- Start by slicing the meat into strips about 4 - 5 cm wide and 1½ cm thick, with the natural grain of the meat.
- Mix the Robertsons Steak & Chops Spice, salt, sugar, cracked Robertsons Coriander Seeds, bicarbonate of soda and Robertsons Freshly Ground Black Pepper together in a bowl to form a rubbing mixture.
- Take a glass or stainless steel container; rub some of the mixture into each piece of meat and make a single layer of meat strips in the bottom of the container.
- Splash some of the vinegar over the layer of meat strips and then continue the same process until all of the meat is layered and you have no vinegar left.
- Cover the container with cling film and leave it to marinade for 12 - 24 hours depending on the thickness of the meat and the intensity of the flavour you desire.
- Now you need to find a cool, dry and well ventilated place to hang the meat. Biltong Machines for home-use work very well.
- Hang the meat until the outside is dark and the center is according to your taste.
- Depending on the dryness of the air and the ventilation, the time will vary. It is usually 3 - 4 days.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.