Juicy, well-seasoned frikkadels are a much-loved favourite in South Africa - they're easy to make, kids love them, and they make the perfect padkos for long journeys. Serve your meatballs in a rich tomato sauce with pasta, mashed potato or pap.
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 slice of white bread
- 750 g beef mince
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) Robertsons Mixed Herbs
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) Robertsons Spice For Mince
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- In a small bowl, soak the bread in a little of water, squeeze dry, then mash with a fork.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked onion with the soaked bread, mince, eggs, Robertsons Mixed Herbs and Robertsons Spice for Mince, mix well, then form into meatballs.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same frying pan and brown the frikkadels, a few at a time, for about five minutes on one side.
- Turn them over and brown the other side, then turn down the heat slightly and continue cooking the meatballs for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes and an onion and tomato sauce.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.