Flavourful & Mild Pilchard Curry
Need a tasty dinner on a budget? This is a quick and easy way to serve a nutritious meal without breaking the bank, using humble ingredients that are packed with irresistible flavour and aroma!
- 2 x 400 g tins pilchards in tomato sauce
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) crushed fresh garlic
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) Rajah Flavourful & Mild Curry Powder
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- 10 ml (2 tsp) Aromat
- Open the tins of pilchards. Drain the tomato sauce into one bowl, and place the pilchards in another bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium to large pot, over a medium heat, and add the onions. Cook until they are soft and golden.
- Add the garlic, chopped chilli and Rajah Flavourful & Mild Curry Powder and cook for 2 minutes. If the contents of the pan seem too dry, add 2 tablespoons of water to loosen everything up.
- Add the tomato sauce from the pilchard tins and stir well. Now add the potatoes, water and Aromat.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Lastly add the pilchards, and cook for about 10 minutes over a low heat. Avoid stirring so the fish doesn’t fall apart – instead, give the pan a gentle shake after you’ve added the pilchards.
- Serve hot with warm, buttery mealie (maize) rice.
- Without milk
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.