This wonderful sweet & spicy South African heritage dish is traditionally eaten around Easter time. Our version is delicious, and so easy to make.
- 1.5 kg hake fillets (frozen)
- flour (for coating fish)
- oil (for frying)
- 4 large onions, sliced into rings
- 750 ml white or brown vinegar
- 500 ml water
- 750 ml brown sugar
- 30 ml Rajah medium curry powder
- 10 ml Robertsons Turmeric
- 10 ml salt
- 5 ml Robertsons ginger
- 16 black peppercorns
- 45 ml Knorr brown onion Soup (mixed with a little water to form a smooth paste)
- Coat the frozen fish in flour and pan-fry in heated oil until cooked.
- Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- In a large saucepan mix all the ingredients for the curry sauce except the KNORR Brown Onion Soup.
- Boil uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked fish and the KNORR Brown Onion Soup.
- Stir gently until the sauce thickens then allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Cool and spoon into a non-metal container.
- Store covered in the fridge.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.