Spicy Mutton Breyani
An excellent traditional breyani has layers of rice, lentils, veggies, and tender, spicy meat. In this recipe, mutton is combined with maas and Rajah Mild & Spicy curry powder, then slow-baked to perfection.
- 15 ml vegetable oil for frying
- 1 kg mutton
- 500 ml maas
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 3 tbsp Rajah Mild & Spicy curry powder
- 1 tbsp Robertsons paprika
- Robertsons Atlantic Sea Salt to taste
- 4 green chillies
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 potatoes cut in half
- 2 tomatoes thickly sliced
- 2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 cup water
- Mix the mutton with maas, coriander, Rajah Mild & Spicy curry powder, paprika and green chillies and season with salt. Set aside until required.
- Fry the onion in a little oil until soft, remove from the pan and then fry the potatoes until browned.
- Par-boil the rice and lentils.
- In a large ovenproof dish, place half the cooked rice and lentils at the base of the dish, then layer the tomatoes, onions, meat mixture, potatoes and lastly put the remaining rice on top. Pour over 1 cup water.
- Cover with a well-fitting lid or with foil. Cook at 180 degrees Celsius for 1 – 1.5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir the pot to mix ingredients before serving.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.