Lentil Curry Tortilla Samoosas
Looking for a new way to cook with lentils, which are one of our KNORR Future 50 Foods? Here’s a twist on one of South Africa’s favourite snacks: giant ‘samoosas’ made with shop-bought tortillas, which are brushed with garlic butter then filled with a flavour-packed lentil curry. Serve with a cool yoghurt, mint and cucumber raita plus a crunchy onion and tomato sambal.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- small ginger peeled grated
- 1 small chilli finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Rajah medium curry powder
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup tinned brown lentils drained
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- 5 medium tortillas
- garlic butter melted
- plain yoghurt
- handful fresh mint
- handful coriander
- salsa to serve
- For the Lentil Curry: Cover lentils in warm water with a squeeze of lemon juice. Soak for 1-3 hours.
- Melt the butter on a medium/low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and sliced chili and sauté until onions are soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Combine the curry powder and turmeric and add, stirring until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, 1 Knorr Vegetable stock Pot, boiling water, lentils, cayenne pepper (optional) and coconut milk and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer 35-40 minutes until the lentils are soft and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- For the Lentil Curry Tortilla Samoosas: Allow the curry to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven at 180? and grease a large tray.
- Lay a tortilla on a plate. Add a 1/3 cup of the cooled curry in the center on the tortilla.
- Cut out a triangle from another tortilla (try get 6 triangles from one tortilla). Place the triangle on top of the curry mix in the center of the whole tortilla.
- Brush the edges of the whole tortilla with the melted butter.
- Fold the edges into the middle to from a large triangle pouch.
- Pack the giant samoosas onto a baking tray; fold side down, to avoid them breaking open while baking.
- Brush with melted garlic butter.
- Bake the lentil curry samoosas for 30 minutes until golden and delicious.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with a yoghurt-based dipping sauce and a tomato and onion sambal and ENJOY!
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.