Masala-Roasted Pumpkin with Creamy Samp
Here's a truly delicious vegetarian dish the family will love: lightly spiced roasted pumpkin wedges served on a bed of creamy, buttery samp, and garnished with pumpkin seeds and fresh parsley.
- 2 cups samp
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Rajah Mild Masala curry powder
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 500 g pumpkin cut into wedges (reserve the seeds)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g salted butter
- 50 ml cream
- handful of fresh parsley chopped to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the samp in a bowl and add enough boiling water to cover completely.
- Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Drain the samp and place in a large pot.
- In the meantime, place the Rajah Mild Masala curry powder, oil, pumpkin wedges, reserved seeds and salt in a large roasting dish and toss to coat all the pumpkin.
- Place in the preheated oven and roast for 30 minutes or until golden and caramelised.
- Add enough cold water to the pot to just cover the samp.
- Add the bay leaf and salt and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every now and then.
- After 1 hour, top up the samp with enough water to cover again and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Stir the butter and cream into the samp and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the creamy samp topped with the roasted pumpkin, pumpkin seeds and chopped fresh parsley.
- Monthly vegetarian
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.