Baby Meatball Lasagne
Take ordinary lasagne to the next level by swapping ground mincemeat with satisfying meatballs. This family favourite recipe features homemade tomato sauce, basil, rosemary, organum, and béchamel sauce for maximum flavour.
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60 ml breadcrumbs soaked in 50 ml water
- 5 ml Robertsons rosemary
- 5 ml Robertsons oregano (origanum)
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt to season
- 1 ml Robertsons black pepper to taste
- 1 medium-sized egg
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 250 ml cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 60 ml white wine
- 10 ml Robertsons basil
- 10 ml sugar
- 100 ml butter
- 100 ml flour
- 1 litre milk
- 1 ml Robertsons cayenne pepper
- 200 g lasagne sheets
- fresh basil, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease a medium sized rectangular ovenproof dish.
- To make the meatballs: mix the mince, half of the chopped onion, half of the crushed garlic, soaked breadcrumbs, Robertsons Rosemary, Robertsons Oregano, salt and pepper to taste and the egg together in a bowl until combined.
- Shape into about 30 small meatballs with damp hands. Place on a large plate, cover with clingfilm and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Heat half of the oil in a frying pan on medium heat and fry the meatballs on both sides until golden brown and cooked. Remove and keep aside.
- To make the tomato sauce: heat the rest of the olive in the frying pan and sauté the rest of the onion and crushed garlic until soft. Add the chopped tomato, white wine, Robertsons Basil, sugar and some salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- To make the béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add all the milk. Stir very well to mix. Return to the heat and stir until the sauce is thick, smooth and it starts to boil. Add the cheese, Robertsons Cayenne Pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble: spread a thin layer of béchamel sauce on the bottom of the prepared dish. Place a layer of lasagne sheets followed by half of the tomato sauce and spread out. Top with half of the meatballs and cover with half of the béchamel sauce. Repeat the layers and finish with the béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with some grated cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake the lasagne for 45 minutes covered with foil, followed with 10 minutes with the foil removed. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.