Traditional Beef Stroganoff
This dish may have Russian surname, but it's a meal that you'll find often on tables in South Africa, where it has been a popular family dish for many decades. Sour cream and mushrooms are essential, and our Knorr Beef Stock Pot makes it easy to add fabulous depth of flavour.
- 300 g beef strips
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) cake flour
- 15 ml (3 Tbsp) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) margarine or butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Robertsons paprika
- 1 punnet button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Knorr beef stock pot
- 230 ml water
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) sour cream
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) chopped fresh parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Toss the beef strips in cake flour to lightly dust them, then set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and margarine (or butter) together in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the Robertsons Paprika and fry for 2 minutes to release the flavour and smoky aroma.
- Add the floured beef strips and fry for 5 minutes, or until well browned. Now add the button mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the Knorr Beef Stock Pot and the water. Mix well, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in the sour cream and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired, and serve hot with rice.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.