Pilchard Cottage Pie
A delicious and nutritious cottage pie packed with lightly curried pilchards and plenty of healthy fresh vegetables, topped with creamy mashed potatoes and bubbling melted cheese. Serve with peas or a green salad.
- 1 kg potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Rajah Mild Masala curry powder
- 3 x 400 g tinned pilchards in tomato sauce
- handful of fresh spinach leaves chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add the potatoes.
- Cook until very soft – about 10 minutes. Drain and mash until smooth then add the butter, milk and season to taste.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat the oil and fry the onions, carrots and celery until softened – about 10 minutes.
- Add the Rajah Mild Masala curry powder and toast for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the pilchards (and their tomato sauce) with the spinach and bring to the boil. Season well.
- Spread the pilchard mixture into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes or until golden and caramelised.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.