Baked Mushrooms with Two Sauces and a Crisp Breadcrumb Topping
In this delicious, easy vegetarian recipe, big mushrooms are smothered with two different sauces – a rich tomato mix and a cheesy garlic sauce.
- 30 ml olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2.5 ml Robertsons sweet basil
- 5 ml Robertsons thyme
- 50 g packet Knorr creamy tomato soup
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt
- Robertsons ground black peppercorn, to taste
- Knorr cheese, mushroom & garlic sauce
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 4 large black mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Heat 10ml olive oil over a medium heat in a pan. Add the onion, garlic, Robertson’s Sweet Basil and 2.5ml Robertson’s Thyme and cook slowly until soft.
- Add the Knorr Creamy Tomato Soup, tin tomatoes and 250ml water. Simmer for 30 minutes, until thickened. Season with Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt and Robertson’s Black Pepper.
- Put the Knorr Cheese, Mushroom & Garlic Sauce contents into a jug. Add the boiling water up to 250ml mark and whisk together until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and remaining thyme together, with salt & pepper.
- Prepare your mushrooms by cleaning the exterior with a damp cloth. Remove the stalk and discard. Rub the remaining olive oil over the mushrooms and season with salt & pepper.
- Place the mushrooms in your baking dish, smooth side down.
- Top each mushrooms with the tomato sauce, it’s fine if the sauce drips over the edges of the mushrooms.
- Then spoon over the cheese sauce, followed by the breadcrumb mix.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked through and the top is golden.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.