Shakshuka with Spinach and Beans
This one-pan dish of eggs baked in a spicy tomato sauce is thought to have originated in the Middle East, and is now popular across the Mediterranean. Pack in the nutrients by adding fresh spinach (or morogo) and beans, top with creamy feta cheese and serve with sourdough toast or pita breads.
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt, to season
- 1 ml Robertsons black pepper, to taste
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 100 g morogo leaves (aka. cane herbs / red herbs) OR spinach (if morogo is unavailable), washed and chopped
- 15 ml Robertsons paprika
- 5 ml Robertsons oregano
- 1 x 400 g tin butter beans
- 12 g packet Knorr tomato Base Dry Cook-In Sauce
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml water
- 4 eggs
- 50 g feta cheese
- 4 slices sourdough, toasted
- 15 g chopped basil
- Heat the oil in a wide pan or skillet over a medium heat. Add the red onion, garlic and a pinch of Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt & Robertson’s Black Pepper. Sauté until soft.
- Add the red pepper and morogo leaves, and saute for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the Robertson’s Paprika and Robertson’s Oreganum. Saute for a further 1-2 minutes, until aromatic.
- Add the butter beans, Knorr Tomato Base Dry Cook-In Sauce, tin tomatoes and water. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened. Adjust seasoning.
- Once the sauce has thickened, make 4 wells and drop an egg in each. Sprinkle over the feta cheese and cover with a lid. Allow to steam slowly until the eggs are cooked, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve the shakshuka in the pan, topped with the chopped basil, with the toasted sourdough on the side.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.