Spinach with a Cheesy Breadcrumb Topping
Better For You: For a tastier and healthier option of this dish, use a variety of roasted, crushed seeds such as sunflower, sesame and pumpkin and mix them into the breadcrumb and cheese topping.
Delicious creamy fresh spinach topped with a crispy cheesy breadcrumb topping - a winning family dish!
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 bunches spinach, washed and chopped
- 250 ml hot milk
- 1 sachet Knorr Classic White Sauce
- 1 ml Robertsons Nutmeg (sprinkle)
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Robertsons Black Pepper, to season
- 45 ml margarine, melted
- 250 ml breadcrumbs
- 60 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot and sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the spinach and stir well then cover with a lid and allow the spinach to steam for 3 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the Knorr Classic White Sauce using the hot milk then stir into the spinach together with a sprinkle of Robertsons Nutmeg and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Season with Robertsons Black Pepper then transfer to a casserole dish.
- In a bowl mix together the melted margarine, breadcrumbs and cheddar cheese to combine and then sprinkle over the spinach.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.