Cheesy Mushroom Rarebit with Toasted Sourdough Bread
Here’s a delicious vegetarian dinner that takes just 30 minutes from start to finish. Big field mushrooms are roasted until tender, cloaked with a cheesy mustard sauce, then served hot and bubbling on toasted ciabatta bread. Serve with a peppery rocket salad dressed with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- 8 large mushrooms
- 60 ml olive oil
- 250 ml milk
- 36 g (1 sachet) Knorr cheese, mushroom & garlic pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup cheddar, grated
- 5 ml Dijon mustard
- 2.5 ml Robertsons black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- fresh rocket, to serve
- the juice of 1 lemon, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean and remove their stalks. Place them with their gills facing upwards on a baking tray and brush generously with olive oil. Roast the mushrooms for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are tender, but be sure not to overcook them.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and turn the oven onto grill.
- While the mushrooms are in the oven, make the cheesy sauce. Bring the milk to a boil in a pot and whisk in the Knorr Cheese, Mushroom & Garlic Pasta Sauce. Simmer gently, whisking often, until thick. Stir in the grated cheddar and the mustard. Season to taste with Robertsons Black Pepper.
- Spoon the sauce into mushrooms. Place them under the grill until the sauce is golden and bubbling.
- Serve piping hot with toasted ciabatta bread, plus a rocket salad dressed with lemon juice.
- Vegetarian recipes
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.