Sweet potato and tomato soup
Look out in your supermarket for bright orange sweet potatoes, which will give this nourishing vegetarian soup plenty of vibrant colour. Finely chopped fresh red chilli gives a surprise kick of heat, while coconut milk adds creaminess. To finish your soup, add a garnish of fresh, peppery watercress, which is one of our KNORR Future 50 Foods!
- 400 g sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and cubed
- 3 large garlic cloves crushed
- 15 ml fresh ginger root grated
- 1 fresh red chilli finely chopped
- 2.5 ml cumin
- 200 g tomatoes chopped
- Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- 500 ml water
- 400 g coconut milk
- 4 slices sourdough bread to serve
- fresh watercress or coriander to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Put the sweet potato cubes in an oven tray, drizzle over half (30ml) of the oil and toss well to coat. Roast at 200 °C for 20 - 30 minutes, or until soft and golden brown.
- While the sweet potato is roasting, heat the remaining 30ml oil in a large pot. Add the onions and carrots and fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, chilli and cumin and cook gently for one more minute to release the flavours.
- Add the roasted sweet potato cubes and the chopped tomatoes to the pan.
- Stir in the two KNORR Vegetable Stock Pots, the water and the coconut milk.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Using a stick blender or food processer, whizz the soup until smooth. Alternatively, if you would like a slightly chunkier soup, you can remove some of the whole veggies from the pot and set them aside in a bowl. Liquidise the remaining soup, then return the whole veggies to the pot.
- Gently reheat the soup and serve in warmed bowls with a topping of fresh watercress or coriander, plus lime wedges and slices of sourdough bread rubbed with the cut side of a clove of garlic.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.