Italian Lentil and Spinach Soup
With its clean and simple flavours, this light Italian-style lentil soup is delicious served hot with grated Parmesan cheese and warm hunks of wholewheat bread. You can add any other vegetables of your choice to this dish – how about celery or red peppers? Serve with a generous portion of wild rice, quinoa or millet.
- 200 g carrots peeled
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 large baby courgette (baby marrow)
- 45 ml vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 500 ml water
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2.5 ml Robertsons oregano (origanum)
- 2.5 ml Robertsons dried thyme
- 400 g tin lentils drained
- 100 g fresh spinach or swiss chard
- Robertsons sea salt, to season
- Robertsons ground black peppercorns, to taste
- 1 lemon juiced
- grated Parmesan to serve
- sliced wholewheat bread
- Cut the carrots, onions and baby marrow into small cubes. Set the baby marrow cubes to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onions and carrots. Fry for a couple of minutes, then add the chopped garlic. Cook for a further minute, without allow the garlic to brown.
- Add the water and the contents of the KNORR Vegetable Stock Pot, along with the tinned tomatoes, origanum and thyme.
- Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the reserved baby marrow cubes, the drained lentils and the spinach (or Swiss chard), and simmer for a further 8 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add a squeeze of lemon juice for freshness.
- Serve hot with grated Parmesan cheese and wholewheat bread.
- Nut Free
- Better for you
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.