Crispy Tofu With Spring Onions Mung Beans And Bambara Groundnuts Tossed In Chakalaka Sauce
A fusion of Asia and Africa, this nutritious meal hits the spot for those that love variety in one bowl. Tofu, while vegan, is packed with protein and the firm variety will hold its shape and absorb the flavours of Knorr Peri-Peri Sauce.
- 2 litre (8 cups) water + extra, for the sauce
- 215 g bambara groundnuts (find at select Indian grocery stores and African markets)
- 215 g dried mung beans
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1cm thick rounds
- 297 g box firm tofu cut into cubes
- 125 ml (½ cup) canola oil
- 45 ml Knorr Chakalaka Soup
- 300 ml water
- 2-3 spring onions, thinly julienne, and placed in a bowl of ice water, to curl
- handful fresh purple basil to garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil over medium heat. Add the bambara groundnuts and boil until soft yet still slightly undercooked, about 30 minutes. Add the mung beans and continue to boil until soft, about 15 – 30 minutes. Add the sweet potato rounds in the last 15 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat and drain. Set aside until needed.
- Place the tofu cubes on paper towel to absorb excess moisture. Set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the dry tofu cubes and shallow-fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the tofu from the pan and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Combine the Knorr Chakalaka Soup and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil then simmer until thick.
- Pour the sauce over the drained bambara groundnuts, mung beans and sweet-potato rounds. Toss until coated well.
- To serve, divide the groundnut and sweet potato mixture among 4 serving bowls. Top with the crispy tofu and spring-onion curls. Garnish with the fresh purple basil, if desired. Serve immediately.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.