This steak sandwich recipe is really easy to prepare and an eternal crowd-pleaser; ideal for an afternoon picnic with the family or to enjoy as the ultimate indulgent snack. No table needed.
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 Knorr beef stock pot
- 5 ml Dijon mustard
- 5 ml Robertsons thyme
- 500 g rump steak, sliced into 2 cm strips
- 15 ml margarine
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 120 ml red wine (ideally Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 34 g (1 sachet) Knorr brown onion gravy
- 4 ciabatta rolls horizontally, sliced in half and lightly toasted
- 2 slices mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt together olive oil and Knorr Beef Stock Pot. Cool. Put into a medium sized bowl. Add the mustard and Robertsons Thyme.
- Add the steak slices to the bowl and mix well rubbing the melted stock pot into the meat.
- Place the steak in a hot frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, shake the pan to ensure the steak strips are cooked evenly. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- In the same pan, melt margarine, add onion and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until onion browns. Stir in wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Prepare the Knorr Brown Onion Gravy mix as directed and pour over the onions. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Return steak to frying pan and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour sauce into small bullet dishes (or small dipping sauce dishes) for dipping.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.