Spicy Butternut and Chickpea Tagine
Making a Moroccan-style vegetarian stew packed with butternut, mushrooms and peppers is so easy with Knorr’s Naturally Tasty Beef Tagine Recipe Mix! Bring the sunny flavours of North Africa to your table with this easy, nourishing recipe – serve with couscous, wild rice or quinoa for a healthy dinner the whole family will adore. - Lisa Raleigh
- 20 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g sliced button mushrooms
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 500 g peeled, cubed butternut
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- a big pinch (2ml) cinnamon
- a big pinch (2ml) ginger powder
- 5 ml cumin
- 1 Knorr Naturally Tasty Beef Tagine Recipe Mix
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 2 x 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
- 30 ml tomato paste
- 1 x 400 tin chickpeas, drained
- salt and ground black pepper
- Heat 10ml of the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the mushrooms for about 7 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pot and add the onion and red pepper. Fry over a medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the butternut cubes and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Now stir in the garlic, cinnamon, ginger powder and cumin, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, to release the flavours and aromas, without allowing the garlic and spices to brown.
- Sprinkle half the contents of the sachet of KNORR Naturally Tasty Beef Tagine Recipe Mix into the pot, then immediately add the vegetable stock, tinned tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir well, then turn the heat down to medium.
- Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until the butternut cubes are soft.
- Remove the lid and stir in the reserved cooked mushrooms and the tin of drained chickpeas. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve hot with couscous, wild rice or quinoa.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.