Curry Mince Vetkoek Pots
This is a delicious twist to a traditional favourite and is the perfect snack for anytime of the day.
- 6 x 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) salt
- 10 ml (2 tsp) sugar
- 1 packet yeast
- 1.5 to 2 cups lukewarm water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cooking oil for frying
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 10 ml Robertsons ground cumin
- 10 ml Robertsons smoked paprika
- 325 g beef mince
- 1 Knorrox curried vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 cup hot water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 15 ml fresh herbs
- 15 ml chutney for serving
- Mix sugar and yeast with some lukewarm water and leave to foam.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Pour yeast in flour and knead.
- Keep adding water and knead until you have a consistency like a bread dough.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl with a cloth.
- Leave the dough to rise for about 45 to 60 minutes until it is about double its original size.
- Heat a pan on the stove and add the olive oil.
- Brown the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent and soft.
- Add the spices and then the beef mince.
- Brown and cook for about 10 minutes, while stirring constantly.
- Add the Knorrox stock cube to the pot together with ½ cup of water. Place the lid on the pot and allow to simmer to allow the liquid to reduce.
- Season with salt and pepper & keep warm.
- Divide the bread dough into 20 even-sized balls
- Heat the oil in a pot and when the oil is about 200°C, fry the vetkoek to golden perfection.
- Regulate the heat of your oil, otherwise the vetkoek will be raw inside and too brown on the outside.
- To serve cut off the top of each vetkoek.
- Hollow out some of the “flesh from the vetkoek”. Add a generous spoonful of the mince and top with a vetkoek lid.
- Serve hot with fresh herbs & a dollop of chutney to garnish.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.