Wild Rice Chicken Salad with Baby Marrows & Avocado
Wild rice, veggies and fresh herbs all brought together with a zesty dressing, then topped with chicken, avocado and toasted seeds. A fabulous, easy recipe for a braai, or for relaxed entertaining with family and friends. - Dianne Bibby
- 750 ml wild rice cooked
- 1 small bunch kale
- olive oil for frying
- salt & pepper to taste
- 5 baby marrows sliced
- 4 chicken breast fillets lightly beaten
- Knorr Balsamic & Pineapple Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- 50 ml water
- 30 ml olive oil for dressing
- 1 lemon finely grated zest
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 5 ml honey
- 40 g baby spinach
- 40 g rocket
- 1 handful fresh Italian parsley
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 2 avocados
- 60 ml toasted pumpkin seeds
- Place the cooked rice in a large mixing bowl.
- Remove the stalks from the kale and cut the leaves into shreds.
- Heat 10ml olive oil in a pan and flash fry the kale for 2 minutes. Season lightly with salt and add to the rice.
- To the same pan, add another drizzle of oil. Over a high heat, fry the baby marrows for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper and add to the rice.
- Season the chicken lightly on both sides and pan fry in 15ml olive oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Add 60ml of the KNORR Balsamic and Pineapple Salad Dressing, and the water.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked through. Slice the chicken into strips. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, place the remaining 60ml salad dressing in a jar, add the lemon zest, lemon juice and honey, and shake to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bundle the spinach, rocket, parsley and basil together. Roughly chop the leaves and add to the rice.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss together.
- Transfer the salad to a large platter. Peel and slice the avocados, then arrange them and the chicken slices on top. Scatter with toasted seeds and serve immediately.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.