Chocolate And Spicy Pear Malva Pudding
Enjoy a classic South African dessert - Malva pudding. In this recipe, we've given the traditional Malva pudding an unexpected chocolate and pear twist. Serve with warm custard.
- Spicy Pears:
- 350 ml water
- 100 ml soft brown sugar
- 5 ml Robertsons mixed spice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 small unripe, pears, peeled and halved
- Chocolate Malva Pudding:
- 500 ml flour
- pinch of salt
- 10 ml baking powder
- 2.5 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 80 ml cacao
- 100 g butter at room temperature
- 150 ml soft brown sugar
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 250 ml buttermilk or amasi
- 250 ml juice reserved from cooking the pears
- 50 ml soft brown sugar
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 250 ml cream
- whipped cream or ice cream to serve
- chocolate sauce to serve
- Place the water, Robertsons Mixed Spice, brown sugar and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan and bring to the boil to make a syrup.
- Add the pears and simmer for about 15 minutes (or less) until the pears are soft – but still firm. Remove the pears from the liquid, remove the core and keep aside. Keep 250 ml of the syrup aside to make the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, bicarb and the cacao.
- Cream the butter and sugar and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Combine the creamed butter mixture, dry ingredients and the buttermilk and mix to make the batter.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and place the pears in the batter. Bake for about 25 minutes in the preheated oven until cooked and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- To make the sauce combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup over the hot pudding (use a skewer to pop holes into the pudding – it will help to absorb the sauce).
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream and chocolate sauce.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.