Lentil and Pea Curry with Wild Rice
A simple, comforting vegetarian curry with mild spicing. If you would like a hotter dish, add more cayenne pepper, or use a stronger curry power, or add some chopped fresh chillies. And if you’re in a hurry, you can use tinned, drained lentils instead of cooking them from scratch. Serve with delicious, nutritious wild rice which (like lentils) is one of the ingredients in our list of Knorr Future 50 Foods!
- 200 g dried brown lentils
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 10 ml finely grated ginger
- pinch of cayenne pepper flakes to taste
- 400 g chopped fresh tomatoes
- 250 ml light coconut milk
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot
- 10 ml ground turmeric
- Rajah mild and spicy curry powder
- 10 ml ground cumin
- 120 g frozen peas
- 200 g uncooked wild rice to serve
- chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- Cook the lentils according to directions on the packet. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pot and fry the onion over a medium-high heat until golden brown. Add the garlic, ginger and cayenne powder and cook gently for one more minute, without allowing the garlic to burn.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot, turmeric, curry powder and cumin. Stir well then cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils and frozen peas to the pot and simmer for a further 10 minutes, or until the peas are cooked. If the curry seems too dry, add a little water.
- Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
- While the lentils are cooking, boil the wild rice according to the directions on the packet.
- Serve the lentil curry with the wild rice, topped with chopped fresh coriander.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.