Biltong and Caramelised Onion Mac and Cheese
There are few comfort foods as universally loved as mac and cheese. This rich and creamy variation features biltong and caramelised onion for a distinctly South African flavour.
- Caramelised Onion:
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 5 ml Robertsons crushed garlic
- 10 ml Robertsons thyme
- 15 ml brown sugar
- 30 ml balsamic vinegar
- Cheese Sauce:
- 60 ml butter
- 60 ml flour
- 250 ml cream
- 250 ml milk
- 5 ml Robertsons paprika
- 300 ml grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200 g biltong thinly sliced
- 400 g macaroni, cooked al dente
- 2 feta wheels, crumbled
- fresh thyme to garnish
- Moist biltong slices to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease a medium sized oven-proof dish.
- To make the caramelised onions heat the olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add the sliced onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the Robertsons Crushed Garlic, Robertsons Thyme, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Cook for another 10 minutes on low heat until the onions have caramelised. Season with salt.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat and add the flour. Cook for 2 minutes, remove from the heat and stir in the cream, milk, Robertsons Paprika, salt and pepper. Return to the heat and stir until the sauce is thick, smooth and starting to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Mix the cooked macaroni, cheese sauce, biltong and half of the caramelised onion together in your prepared oven-proof dish. Top with the remaining caramelised onion and crumbled feta to form a crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and moist biltong slices.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.