Smoked Snoek And Spicy Tomato Jam Braaibroodjie
A fresh new twist on your regular braai snoek – this delicious smoked snoek sandwich features Leyden cheese and spicy tomato jam, all served on two delicious slices of sourdough.
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 500 g baby tomatoes, halved
- 5 ml Robertsons crushed chillies
- 1 ml Robertsons cayenne pepper
- 75 ml red wine vinegar
- 150 ml soft brown sugar
- Robertsons salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices thickly sliced sourdough bread
- 60 ml butter, at room temperature
- 400 ml Leyden cheese, or grated mature cheese
- 400 ml smoked fish (smoked snoek), shredded and deboned
- To make the spicy tomato jam, place the red onion, tomatoes, Robertsons Crushed Chillies, Robertsons Cayenne Pepper, red wine vinegar and the brown sugar in a pan. Season with salt and simmer for 30-40 minutes until it has reached a jam consistency. Pour into a sterilised jar and leave to cool. (Keeps for up to four weeks in the fridge).
- Butter the bread, and place buttered side down on a tray. Divide the Leyden cheese and snoek evenly among 4 slices of bread. Spread the remaining 4 slices generously with the homemade spicy tomato jam. Sandwich together.
- Place on the grill/grid and braai/barbeque over medium coals. Make sure to keep on turning the grill/grid regularly. Braai until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.