Brandy Flambéd Chicken Livers On Roosterkoek
Looking for an easy to make vibrant starter or light meal? Try these simple flambéd chicken livers served with warm toasted roosterkoek (braai bread).
- 250 ml cake flour
- 5 ml Robertsons Steak & Chops Spice
- 10 ml Robertsons Barbecue Spice
- 5 ml salt
- 400 g chicken livers, sinews trimmed, rinsed well and drained
- 40 g butter
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 shallots or leeks, sliced thinly
- 250 g button mushrooms
- 10 ml Robertsons mixed herbs
- 1 ml Robertsons cayenne pepper
- 80 ml cream
- 80 ml brandy, heated
- Herb Oil:
- 60 ml chopped parsley
- 60 ml chopped coriander
- 60 ml olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2.5 ml crushed garlic
- 10 ml lemon juice
- 4 roosterkoek
- Combine the flour, Robertsons Steak and Chops Spice, Robertsons Barbecue Spice and salt and place in a ziplock bag or paper bag. Add a few of the drained chicken livers at a time and toss in the flower to coat. Shake off excess flour and repeat with the rest of the chicken livers.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add the butter and half of the olive oil. Add the floured chicken livers and sauté until it is brown, crusted and cooked.
- Remove from the frying pan and add the rest of the olive oil. Add the shallots or leeks and cook for a few minutes, add the mushrooms, Robertsons Mixed Herbs and Robertsons Cayenne Pepper and cook until the mushrooms are starting to brown. Season and add the cream. Return the chicken livers to the frying pan. Pour the heated brandy over and ignite. Mix well until the flames subside.
- To make the herb oil, combine all the ingredients and blend with a stick blender until smooth.
- Toast or heat the roosterkoek in the oven to get crisp and warm. Spoon the chicken livers over and drizzle with the herb oil. Serve immediately.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.