Lentil and Butternut Bobotie
Now here's a bobotie with a difference - made using butternut and lentils, this bobotie is a treat for weekday meals.
- 1 slice of bread
- 100 ml milk
- 45 ml olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 500 g butternut squash cubed
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 5 ml chilli paste
- 5 ml Rajah curry powder
- 410 g whole tinned tomatoes
- 1 sachet (43 g) Knorr roasted vegetable bake
- 250 g dried brown lentils
- 4 x medium eggs
- 375 ml milk
- 2 x bay leaves
- Cover lentils with water and simmer for 45 minutes until soft.
- Soak bread in milk and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onions.
- Add the butternut and cook covered over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chilli paste, curry powder and bay leaves and lentils.
- Add the tomatoes and Knorr Roasted Vegetable Bake and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid off.
- Stir in soaked bread and mix well.
- Place the mixture into a casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Beat eggs with milk and pour over the lentil and butternut mixture.
- Bake at 180°C for 45 minutes until the custard is set and brown.
- Serve with basmati rice and chutney.
- Nut Free
- Future 50 foods
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.