Tomato meatballs with pap
This traditional favourite tastes so good - it will definitely have you coming back for more!
- Recipe serves4
- Preparation time15 minutes
- Cooking time35-40 minutes
- For the Meatballs:
- 30ml cooking oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 15ml Rajah Mild and Spicy Curry Powder
- 400g Beef mince
- 15ml Robertson Mixed Herbs
- 1 egg
- Cooking oil for frying
- For the Tomato Sauce:
- 45ml cooking oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 5ml crushed garlic
- 4 medium tomatoes, grated
- 5ml sugar
- For the Pap:
- 4 cups water
- 1 ¾ cups maize meal
- KNORR Aromat Cheese
- To prepare the meatballs, heat oil in a medium size pot over gentle heat and add onion, crushed garlic and Rajah Mild and Spicy Curry. Powder. Cook the onion until soft and a little golden. Allow to cool.
- In a bowl mix together the beef mince with the cooked onion and garlic mixture.
- Add the Robertson’s Mixed Herbs and egg to the beef mixture and combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and divide the mixture into small round balls.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook meatballs for about 20 minutes or until golden brown in colour and cooked through.
- To prepare the tomato sauce, heat oil in a pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and toss until coated and cook until soft and golden.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar, to the onion mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the tomato softens.
- To prepare the pap, bring water to the boil in a large pot.
- Add the maize meal to the boiling water and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to a low heat and cook for 20-25 minutes with the lid on stirring occasionally (a crust will always form on the bottom of the pot as the maize meal steams and cooks).
- Season generously with KNORR Aromat Cheese until cheesy.
- Serve with Pap and Tomato meatballs.
Add to Cookbook
Remove from Cookbook