This wonderful sweet & spicy South African heritage dish is traditionally eaten around Easter time. Our version is delicious, and so easy to make.
- Recipe serves6 - 8
- Preparation time15 minutes
- Cooking time30 minutes
- 1.5 Kg hake fillets, frozen
- Flour for coating fish
- Oil for frying
- For the curry sauce:
- 4 large onions sliced into rings
- 750 ml white or brown vinegar
- 500 ml water
- 750 ml brown sugar
- 30 ml Rajah Medium Curry Powder
- 10 ml Robertsons Turmeric
- 10 ml salt
- 5 ml Robertsons Ginger
- 16 black peppercorns
- 45ml KNORR Brown Onion Soup mixed with a little water to form a smooth paste
- Coat the frozen fish in flour and pan-fry in heated oil until cooked.
- Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- In a large saucepan mix all the ingredients for the curry sauce except the KNORR Brown Onion Soup.
- Boil uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked fish and the KNORR Brown Onion Soup.
- Stir gently until the sauce thickens then allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Cool and spoon into a non-metal container.
- Store covered in the fridge.
Add to Cookbook
Remove from Cookbook