Potato-Topped Pork, Apple and Ginger Casserole
Pork and ginger complement each other perfectly and the addition of the apples gives this dish a delicious fruity taste!
- Recipe serves4
- Preparation time35 minutes
- Cooking time90 minutes
- 15 ml Sunflower oil
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 250 g Bacon rashers, chopped
- 5 cm Fresh ginger, peeled and crushed
- 5 ml Robertsons Cinnamon
- 5 ml Robertsons Rosemary
- 600 ml Apple juice
- 1 sachet KNORR Country Hot Pot Dry Cook-in-Sauce
- 6 Boneless pork steaks
- 4 Large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Pink apples, sliced into wedges (no need to peel)
- 30 ml Margarine
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion and bacon until soft.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon and rosemary and fry for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add a little water to the pan to deglaze if necessary then remove the pan from the heat.
- In a separate saucepan bring the apple juice to the boil then reduce the heat and whisk in the contents of the sachet of KNORR Country Hot Pot Dry Cook-in-Sauce and allow to simmer until thick then remove from the heat.
- Using an ovenproof casserole dish start to prepare the layers beginning with the bacon and onion mix, top his layer with 3 pork steaks followed by apples and then sliced potato.
- Repeat the layers ending with potato then pour the sauce over.
- Dot the top layer of potato with a few small knobs of margarine then cover with tin foil and place in a preheated oven for about 90 minutes or until the steaks are tender and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve with rice and freshly steamed vegetables.
Add to Cookbook
Remove from Cookbook