Butternut and Feta Christmas Phyllo Crackers
If you’re looking for vegetarian recipes for the festive season, try making these tasty butternut and feta- filled crackers.
- Recipe serves4-6
- Preparation time60 minutes
- Cooking time15 minutes
- 30 g Stork margarine
- 1 Red Onion, finely diced
- 500 g Butternut, peeled and cubed
- 125 g Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 sachet KNORR Classic White Sauce
- 1 Roll phyllo pastry
- 1 Punnet fresh chives
- Sauté the onion in the margarine until soft but with no colour, then set aside.
- Steam the butternut in a little salted water in the microwave for about 10-12 minutes or until soft then drain and mash until just smooth but still slightly chunky.
- In a bowl mix the sautéed onion, mashed butternut, crumbled feta and contents of the sachet of KNORR Classic White Sauce together.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper, then leave to cool.
- Remove the sheets of phyllo pastry from the packaging and cut into 4, to give you rectangles.
- Place one rectangle on a board, brush with melted butter then place another rectangle on top and brush with melted butter.
- Place one tbspful of the mixture in the centre of the pastry and roll up to resemble a cigar then pinch the edges using your fingers so that it resembles a cracker.
- Continue until you have enough crackers or until the filling is finished.
- Place the crackers onto a greased baking tray, brush each cracker with a little more melted butter then place in the fridge to chill and firm up for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for about 15 minutes or until the pastry is crispy and golden brown.
- Transfer the crackers to a cooling rack then secure the ends of the crackers with chives.
Add to Cookbook
Remove from Cookbook