Beef Wellington is a classic dish that is much easier to make than you may think! Serve it with roast potatoes and gravy.
- Recipe serves4-6
- Preparation time10 minutes
- Cooking time60 minutes
- 80 g Butter
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 Clove crushed garlic
- 250 g Button mushrooms, sliced
- 5 ml Robertsons Italian Herbs
- 1 KNORR Vegetable Stock Pot
- 15 ml Cooking oil
- 1 Roll puff pastry
- 15 ml Wholegrain mustard
- 800 g Beef fillet
- 1 Egg, lightly whisked with some water to make an egg wash
- 1 sachet KNORR Roast Meat Gravy
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Melt butter in a pan until foaming and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and Italian Herbs and cook until the mushrooms are soft and all the liquid from the mushrooms has simmered off.
- Add the KNORR Vegetable Stock Pot and stir until it has dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mushrooms to completely cool.
- Transfer to a bowl and using a stick blender, blend to a chunky paste.
- In the mean time heat cooking oil in a separate pan and brown the beef fillet on all sides for about 3-4 minutes per side, so that the fillet is well browned.
- Remove the fillet from the pan and allow to cool then rub the mustard onto the fillet.
- Lightly roll out the pastry until it is large enough for the fillet to fit comfortably in the middle of the pastry.
- Spread the mushroom mixture over the pastry, leaving a border around the edges.
- Place the whole beef fillet in the centre of the mushroom mixture and roll the pastry over and around the fillet so that it is completely sealed.
- Trim off any excess pastry from the sides and pinch closed.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the pastry with the egg wash and using a small knife cut diamond shaped slits into the top of the pastry.
- Place onto a greased oven tray and into a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and flaky. Should you prefer your meat well done leave in the oven for a further 10 minutes, you may need to reduce the heat so that the pastry does not burn.
- Using a lifter transfer the beef wellington to a serving platter and serve with KNORR Roast Meat Gravy.
Add to Cookbook
Remove from Cookbook