Traditional Tomato Bredie
Bredie is an old Cape name for a dish of stewed fatty mutton and vegetables. Try this traditional 18th century South African recipe for a taste of the Cape.
- Recipe serves4-6
- Preparation time15 minutes
- Cooking time90 minutes
- 1,5 kg Stewing lamb or mutton, cubed
- 410 g Tin chopped tomatoes
- 5 ml White sugar
- 500 g Potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 400 ml water
- 25 ml Stork margarine
- 2 large Onions, sliced
- 1 packet KNORR Spaghetti Bolognaise Dry Cook-in-Sauce
- 250ml of Red Wine
- In a large saucepan heat the margarine.
- Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes or until transparent.
- Add the meat and brown quickly on all sides.
- Add the KNORR Fresh Ideas Spaghetti Bolognaise, 400 ml water and wine.
- Simmer covered for 1 ½-2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes and sugar, cook for a further 45 minutes.
- Serve with cooked rice.
Add to Cookbook
Remove from Cookbook