Roast Chicken with Baked Bacon and Sage Stuffing
A family favourite with a festive flavour.
- Recipe serves4-6
- Preparation time25 minutes
- Cooking time120 minutes
- 1 sachet KNORR Bacon & Onion Flavour Potato Bake
- 30 ml Stork Margarine
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 Pork sausages
- 125 ml Water
- 6 Rashers rindless streaky bacon
- 30 ml olive oil
- 4 Sprigs sage, roughly chopped
- 1.5 kg Whole chicken, cleaned and ready for roasting
- Robertsons Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 30 ml Sage, chopped finely
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 1½ Onions, quartered
- 3 Cloves crushed garlic
- 125 ml Cream
- 1 sachet KNORR Roast Chicken Gravy
- In a bowl combine half a sachet of KNORR Bacon & Onion Flavour Potato Bake, Stork margarine, breadcrumbs, filling from the pork sausages, chopped sprigs of sage, 3 beaten eggs and half a finely chopped onion.
- Season with black pepper and mix together well until it comes together in a ball. This will be the stuffing.
- Place 2 quarters of onion, the sage and garlic inside the chicken.
- Place the remaining onions into the roasting pan.
- Rub the olive oil and remaining KNORR Bacon & Onion Flavour Potato Bake all over the chicken.
- Place into the roasting pan.
- Place the bacon rashers over the top of the chicken.
- Roll golf ball size pieces of the stuffing, and place into the roasting pan around the chicken.
- Cover with foil (shiny side facing down).
- Roast at 180°C in the middle of the oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove the foil and continue roasting for 15-30 minutes.
- To check if the chicken is cooked, push a knife into the thickest part.
- If the juices run clear, it's cooked.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- In a pan heat the cream and water.
- When it starts to simmer, add the KNORR Roast Chicken Gravy and stir for 1 minute until thickened.
- Serve immediately.
Add to Cookbook
Remove from Cookbook